Some people seem to have this unlimited energy inside them; an enthusiasm that shines through everything they do and infects everybody they come in contact with. They are truly excited about life, and approach it full of hope and expectations. This is also known as zest for life. What’s good or desirable about having this zest for life? Well, who doesn’t want to be around happy people and feel that life is an adventure? Who hasn’t looked at someone like that and wondered what makes them tick?
When you have a zest for life, your enthusiasm sends out positive vibes and attracts the right people to you. Not only does it make you want to do things, it also pushes you to do them well. In other words, it extracts your true potential out of you. The pleasure and relish with which you do everything – be it your job, or a hobby, or domestic chores – also act as a strong message to others. A person who displays this quality of zest for life, tends to always be seen in a positive light, in professional situations as well as personal ones. Enthusiasm is indeed one of the most attractive traits a person can have.
“If you have zest and enthusiasm you attract zest and enthusiasm. Life does give back in kind.” – Norman Vincent Peale
Is this an innate quality only, or can you also develop it later in life? Well, some people are indeed born with a zestful attitude towards life, but most of us seem to lose touch with this level of enthusiasm once we move into adulthood. The good news is, we can teach ourselves to become more zestful in life again, if we really want to.
How can you recapture zest in life? By trying some of the following methods:
- Be childlike. Remember how as children we used to be so open to every new idea and experience, so ready to laugh and believe in the wonders of the world? Open your heart to the world like a child.
- Challenge yourself to say yes to every new experience that is offered to you (unless it’s illegal or immoral, lol). Let your enthusiasm grow and shine. You never know where it may take you.
- Start every day with the affirmation that it will be a great day, and that you will do something fun and learn something new.
- Do more of the things you enjoy doing.
- You are the average of the five people you spend the maximum time with. Choose to spend more time with positive, happy, cheerful people who will support your efforts.
- If after a few days of doing all this you still don’t feel a new zest for life , fake it for a bit. Fake it till you do start to feel it eventually.
Have I been successful in recapturing my zest for life? Not entirely, not yet. But I am trying, and I’m better off today than I was a couple of months ago, so that’s progress!
This post is the last of the April AtoZ 2018 Series. I am glad to be able to say that I made it through the month with very little collateral damage!
You might also like to read: