If we want to live truly peaceful and harmonious lives, then we need to be able to quiet the mind and avoid overthinking. Overthinking causes negative thoughts and all kinds of misery eventually. We have to ensure that we control our minds, and not vice versa. To do this, we need to learn how to quiet the mind.
“Peace does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. Peace means to be in the midst of all those things and still be calm in your heart.” – Unknown
How can someone quiet their mind?
- Whenever you find yourself getting pulled into a vortex of negative thoughts, make an effort to bring your focus back to a positive thought. The more you practise this, the easier it will become eventually.
- Unplug from unnecessary distractions like phone notifications, loud environments etc. every now and then to give the mind some rest from constant stimulation. The mind needs sensory breaks every now and then to learn to be quiet too.
- Practise meditation and deep breathing. This works beautifully in calming us down and will help to quiet the mind.
- Talk back. For every negative or disastrous thought that your mind throws at you, throw back a positive. Or, pick up the negative thought and logically tell yourself what’s the worst that could happen. Usually, once we realise that a situation is much less tragic than what our mind is making it up to be, we relax.
- Give yourself positive reinforcements as you go about your day. A person thinking positive and happy thoughts will have a much lower chance of being stuck in a situation of overwhelming negative thoughts.
- Live in the present. Don’t overburden the mind with worries about tomorrow, or the next week, or next month, or five years ahead. Cross bridges when you get to them.
- One interesting way to quiet the mind is to put down all your thoughts on paper. Once you have expressed your thoughts somewhere, the mind will feel lighter and you will be able to relax.
By using some or all of these tips, we can deal with the problem of overthinking and achieve a quieter, calmer mind. If you have any additional tips on how to quiet the mind, do share!
You might also like reading: